FY 2021 IPPS Proposed Rule: Displaced Resident Policies
June 3, 2020
CMS has published the FY 2021 Inpatient Prospective Payment Services (IPPS) Proposed Rule on May 29th. In the FY 2021 IPPS proposed rule, CMS addresses changes to closing hospitals and Graduate Medical Education (GME) residency programs that could take effect as soon as October 1, 2020. The proposed rule addresses growing concerns of operational and administrative challenges resulting from residents who transfer or match to other programs, or participate in planned rotations at other hospitals before the official closing date.
CMS has redefined “displaced residents” to allow more flexibility to closing hospitals and residency programs. Displaced residents are now defined as residents who:
- Leave a program after the hospital or program closure date is publicly announced, but before the actual closing day;
- Is assigned or training at planned rotations located at another hospital and who is unable to return to their rotation at the closing hospital or program;
- Is matched into a GME Program at the closing hospital or program but has not yet started training at the closing hospital or program;
- Is physically training at the hospital on the last or next-to-last day of closing program or hospital;
- Is on approved leave at the time of the publicly announced closure, or closing date resulting in a resident who cannot return to their program.
Following is a link to CMS’s official announcement: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2020-05-29/pdf/2020-10122.pdf